AS07B41
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AS07B41

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tester Won't Give you a Battery Any Extra Life_2.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Tester Won't Give you a Battery Any Extra Life_2. Empty
PostSubject: Tester Won't Give you a Battery Any Extra Life_2.   Tester Won't Give you a Battery Any Extra Life_2. EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Q: I have the 2003 BMW Z4. The battery died twice without warning because of old era. I've been advised to check the battery regularly, especially after one year. I bought a $50 battery tester so i can check it myself almost every other week. Is this is a good plan in terms for battery reliability?

A: I admire your willingness to test the battery on a regular basis, but how is testing the battery going to prolong its life? It's not, but it may give you an idea of as soon as the battery is starting to be able to fail.

Battery life is actually somewhat unpredictable. Most automotive batteries seem to survive three to five years -- nicely in line with their warranties. I don't think a car owner can extend the life of a battery, but I do believe a car holder can shorten battery's lifetime.

The major factors in battery life seem to be environmental/ambient temperatures, state of charge, level of electrolyte, quality of terminal connections as well as security of battery position. Car owners can't keep it from getting chilled outside, but they can influence another factors.

If you absolutely do not want to deal with a dead battery, there's a relatively simple answer: Replace the battery every two or three years. Is this possibly wasteful? Yes, but unless you accidentally discharge the solar battery by leaving the lighting and appliances on or something equivalent, the car will usually start.

Install a brand new battery. A fully charged automotive battery at location temperature should develop 12. 6 volts, give or take a tenth or two. Double-check the battery voltage at the battery itself with a digital voltmeter. If it confirms the 12. 1-volt reading, the battery is weak. I suspect you'll see a bit more voltage at the variety, but if it's not even above 12. 3, the battery is suspect.

You can have both the battery together with alternator load tested to confirm their performance, but the voltage readings you see with the engine running indicate that the alternator is performing typically.
Back to top Go down
https://as07b41.forumotion.com

Tester Won't Give you a Battery Any Extra Life_2.
Page 1 of 1